What should I do if I've been sexually assaulted at Cowley?
- Get to a place where you feel safe
- Seek a friend you can trust
- Don't shower or bathe any part of your body, douche, urinate, defecate, use medications or brush your teeth, if possible
- Stay in the clothes you are wearing or, if you've already changed, bring clothes, sheets and anything that was in contact with you during the assault in a paper bag (not plastic!) or wrapped in a clean sheet - don't clean or straighten the area
- Don't touch anything the accused may have touched or left behind - this physical evidence can help if a criminal charge is pursued
- Get medical help to check for internal injuries you might not be aware of, treat external injuries, be treated for certain STDs, and get information about HIV/AIDS and pregnancy prevention
- Consider having a rape kit done at the hospital - even if you don't think you want to press charges, having a rape kit allows you to have evidence collected should you change your mind later
- Seek counseling support
- Consider your legal options and ask questions for clarification
If I file a complaint, can it remain confidential?
| || |