It is Cowley College’s intent that this procedure will provide a prompt, fair, and impartial investigation and resolution process. The College recognizes that time is of the essence in the investigation, decision making, and appeal processes. The College will make every reasonable effort to conclude its full investigation of a complaint, decision by Title IX Coordinator, and processing of any appeal within Sixty (60) calendar days (excluding weekends and College approved holidays and closings) from its receipt of a complaint. The time periods specified in paragraphs numbered 2, 3, and 4 below.
The Title IX Coordinator will document the reason for extending any specified time period and will provide to the complainant and to the person accused (respondent) periodic written notice of any extension of a specified time period and of the status of the investigation.
The College’s Title IX Coordinator may appoint a Deputy Title IX Coordinator to act in his/her absence and/or to facilitate the timely resolution of a complaint.
- Any person who believes they have been the victim of harassment or violence by a student, faculty member, staff member, administrator, or other College employee because of sex, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity, should report the conduct to the College Title IX Coordinator/Student Accessibility Coordinator, 620-441-5557, Jim.Brown@cowley.edu. Students are also encouraged to speak to any member of the College full-time faculty or professional staff as these individuals are mandatory reporters of student complaints. The College considers notice of a student complaint to a full-time faculty member and/or professional staff member to be official notice to the College. The faculty member or professional staff member receiving the complaint is required to notify the Title IX Coordinator in writing immediately. Any person with knowledge or belief of conduct which may constitute harassment or violence toward a student, faculty member, staff member, administrator, or other College employee because of that person’s sex, sexual orientation, an/or gender identity should report the alleged conduct immediately to their supervisor or to the College Title IX Coordinator.
- Within two (2) calendar days (excluding weekends and College approved holidays and closings) of the receipt of the complaint, the Title IX Coordinator shall designate the incident investigating officer or officers who will investigate the complaint (such individual or individuals shall not be the party charged with having committed the alleged harassment and/or violence).
- A written statement from the reporting person (complainant) shall be obtained by the designated investigator (s) within two (2) calendar days (excluding weekends and college approved holidays and closings) of their designation and request complainant have no contact with the respondent pending the investigation.
The investigator will then immediately contact the respondent, inform the person of the basis of the complaint and provide the person an opportunity to respond with a written statement. The investigator shall specifically request that the respondent have no contact with complainant pending the investigation. The respondent will then have two (2) calendar days (excluding weekends and College approved holidays and closings) from the date of notification to make a written response to the investigator.
- Upon receipt of the response (s), the investigator shall report in writing to the Title IX Coordinator the fact findings of the investigation and shall notify the complainant and the respondent of said fact findings in writing within fourteen (14) calendar days (excluding weekends and College approved holidays and closings) of the appointment of the investigator. The Title IX Coordinator shall review the written fact findings to determine, by the weight of the evidence, taking into account the totality of all reported evidence, if it is more likely than not that harassment or violence in violation of this policy has occurred. Upon completion of the review and determination by the Title IX Coordinator, both the complainant and the respondent shall be notified separately in person and in writing by the Title IX Coordinator of their decision with seven (7) calendar days (excluding weekends and federal holidays) of receiving the investigator’s report. The complainant and the respondent shall be notified if the Title IX Coordinator is unable to meet with them in person within seven (7) calendar days (excluding weekends and College approved holidays and closings) and a meeting will be scheduled as soon as possible. The Title IX Coordinator will meet separately with the complainant and with the respondent and will address any questions concerning the determination or resolution with each individual during the respective meeting.
- If it is determined it is more likely than not that a violation of College policy has occurred, the Title IX Coordinator will forward their written decision to the appropriate administrator who will take appropriate disciplinary action.
Where do I get the Complaint Form?
| || |