Cowley College

Flickinger to have work featured at Mark Arts in Wichita

September 15, 2020

Having been selected as the overall painting champion at Versus: A Live Art Battle, at Mark Arts in Wichita back in September 2019, Cowley College Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair Mark Flickinger and former Cowley College creative director Denise Irwin, the sculpture champion, will have an opening show at Mark Arts on October 2.

The opening reception, titled “Solid Ground”, will feature the art of Flickinger and Irwin and will run from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Projecting light and landscape through process and place, Solid Ground features new works from Flickinger and Irwin. In chorus, these artists address concepts of water and form through paintings and ceramics on view.

“I love where water and land meet,” Flickinger said. “There are a lot of metaphors in the show.”

Visitors can pre-register for any time that works for them to attend to view the exhibition. They can register for an hour-long time slot that can fit up to 30 people. Throughout the exhibition visitors are welcome to make appointments to view the show Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There will also be an "in-conversation" event outlined from 5:30-7 p.m. on October 9 that visitors can register for. Seating will be planned to maximize capacity so visitors can be social distanced in the gallery.

Lastly, there will be a Meet the Artists event on October 30. This will be more of a casual opportunity for visitors to engage in conversation.

Flickinger, who also has work on display at Reuben Saunders Gallery in Wichita, KS, is looking forward to once again work with Irwin.

“She has a great skill set and has done some wonderful ceramics,” Flickinger said.

Flickinger assumes he will have close to 50 pieces of his work displayed at Mark Arts. The art work will consist of landscapes done on oil paintings, monotypes, and drawings.

“I love having an exhibit to work for,” Flickinger said. “My footprint in the Wichita market has definitely grown. Not being able to travel these past six months, I have been extremely productive in my studio.”

The exhibition is underwritten by The Trust Company of Kansas. Additional support comes from 6 Meridian, Anna Anderson & Chris Shank, Andover State Bank, AgeWell Brain Center, Gaylene & Joel Alderson, Aloft Wichita, Alloy Architecture, Capitol Federal, The Carnahan Group, Commerce Trust Company, Cox, Designing Women, Dondlinger Construction, Dunning & Associates, Mark Eaton, Genesis of Wichita, IMA, INTRUST Bank, Chase Koch, Koch Industries, Martin Financial Group, Nancy & Matt Michaelis, Morgan Stanley, Professional Engineering Consultants, Stinson and Wilson Building Maintenance.