Cowley College

Shelby White named final Student of the Month during the 2020-2021 school year

April 15, 2021

Taking an active role on Cowley College’s main campus in Arkansas City, Shelby White was recently named the April Student of the Month.

The psychology major is the daughter of Gena Crow. She has seven siblings, Tyler 31, Colby 30, Brittany 28, Skylar 27, Waylon Lumbert 26, Ty 24, and Adrinna 13. Grandparents are Wayne Keesey and the late Pamela Keesey of Winfield.

White graduated from Winfield High School in 2019. At WHS, she was involved in band, choir, color guard, and the Drama Club. After serving as captain of the color guard for three years she is now the color guard coach at Winfield High School.

She came to Cowley College on a Social Science Scholarship.

“The student ambassador that gave me a tour of the Cowley campus made the school sound like a close knit family, which it is,” White said. “They push you to be your best at Cowley.”

At Cowley, she is a Student Ambassador, a member of the Pep Band and Concert Band, and is the vice president of fellowship for Phi Theta Kappa. She is a member of the Honor Roll and has a grade point average of 3.79. She also volunteered 40 hours of her time each semester for the Social Science Scholarship and volunteers weekly with the PTK Student Pantry on campus.

“Shelby is very active on campus,” English instructor Jennifer Rupp said. “As the vice-president of fellowship for PTK, she takes a primary role in getting students involved in the organization and forming connections between students. Shelby always brings a lot of enthusiasm and positivity to every task she performs.”

White was recently accepted for a summer criminal profiling internship in Washington, D.C.

“Criminal profiling is my dream career,” White said. “I have always liked getting to know people mentally.”

After Cowley she plans to attend Wichita State University.

“I have had a lot of family attend WSU,” White said. “It is far enough away from home for me to create my own life, but also come home if I need to. There are not enough words to describe how Cowley has helped me develop physically and mentally.”

Rama Peroo

Director of Institutional Communication & Public Relations
Cowley College
125 South 2nd Street
Arkansas City, KS 67005