Cowley College

Ainsley Carson named Cowley College’s December Student of the Month

December 6, 2019

Known as a leader in the training room and in the tutor lab, Ainsley Carson was recently named Cowley College’s December Student of the Month.

The athletic training major is the daughter of Joy and Russell McDonald and Brian Carson. She has two brothers, Garrett 22 and Atlee 16. Her grandmother, Lesa Lusk, resides in Derby.

Carson graduated from Belle Plaine High School in 2018. At Belle Plaine she participated in volleyball, softball, FCCLA, Letterman’s Club, and SADD. She also did volunteer work. “Cowley was close to home and when I came to visit it felt like a small community,” Carson said.

At Cowley she is involved in student athletic training, was the volleyball team manager, a Cowley Tutor, member of Reverb, and works in the concessions of W.S. Scott Auditorium.

She spends more than 30 hours a week in the training room or at athletic events.

“I love sports and was so highly involved in athletics in high school that being in athletic training has helped me transition from not playing anymore,” Carson said. “Jeff (Fluty) and Blake (Smith) have been great mentors. I owe a lot to them for where I am at today.”

Carson has been named to the President’s and Dean’s Honor Roll and has a grade point average of 3.86.

Assistant athletic trainer Blake Smith said Ainsley is the embodiment of what it means to be a Cowley student.

“She works countless hours in the training room as a student, as well as tutoring many individuals in the tutor lab,” Smith said. “She goes above and beyond to make sure she contributes to the Cowley culture. She has developed great personal and professional relationships with countless students and athletes across campus and goes out of her way to help educate and encourage the other students.”

Carson said being named Student of the Month was not an honor she was expecting.

“I was kind of shocked because when I was in high school I would have never thought I would end up being a Student of the Month in college,” Carson said. “It’s an honor. I guess I am more involved on campus than I thought.”

After Cowley she plans to transfer to Kansas State University and pursue a Master’s degree in athletic training.

“I would love to work for a professional team or the military since my brother Garrett is in the Marine Corps,” Carson said.

However, for now she plans to enjoy her final few months at Cowley.

“I am glad I made the decision to come to Cowley because I don’t think I would have been able to develop these close relationships with the staff and athletes that I have made at Cowley at a four-year school,” Carson said.