Cowley College

Far from home, Priscilla Bianchini thriving at Cowley College's main campus in Arkansas City

October 16, 2019

Serving as a role model and leader on Cowley College’s main campus in Arkansas City, sophomore Priscilla Bianchini was recently named the October 2019 Student of the Month.

The non-traditional student came to Cowley from São Paulo, Brazil. The pre-nursing major is the daughter of José Ricardo Ferreira and Maria Hélia de Souza Ferreira, and the granddaughter of Maria de Souza and Tereza Ferreira of Brazil. She has two sisters, Camilla 25, and Giovanna 8.

With the support of her husband, Lucas, she decided to attend college.

Having previously come to the United States to visit her aunt and uncle, Marilene and Mike Adams, who reside in Atlanta, KS, Priscilla decided she wanted to one day return to the United States and study nursing.

“I decided Cowley was a place where I could change my life,” Bianchini said. “I struggled in high school, so I spent my first semester at Cowley studying all day in order to succeed. I wanted to make my family proud of me.”

At Cowley she is the secretary of Student Senate, the president of Phi Theta Kappa, is a student ambassador, and an ambassador in the International Student Organization. Bianchini has thrived in the classroom to the tune of a 3.86 grade point average.

“I wanted to make a difference at the college,” Bianchini said. “I want people to know what a great college Cowley is, and if I can do this they can do it too.”

International Student Services Coordinator Matthew Nies is among the many Cowley faculty and staff that have enjoyed getting to work with Bianchini.

“Pri (Priscilla) is an exemplary student that leads by example and is always willing to help,” Nies said. “Her dedication goes beyond the classroom and she is involved in a multitude of ways on campus with the goal of helping to better herself and her community.”

Bianchini has been involved in the community by giving a presentation on Brazil to elementary students, participated in Ark City Clean-Up Day, participated in food packaging events, and helped tag butterflies at the Chaplin Nature Center.

“I wanted to get involved at Cowley, so I could learn more about the school and the culture,” Bianchini said. “It is amazing to receive a recognition like Student of the Month. I never succeeded in school prior to coming here. I am happy the people here believe in me and gave me the opportunity to be involved. I am proof it is never too late to go back to school.”

After Cowley, Bianchini plans to transfer to a four-year university to continue her pursuit of a degree in nursing. “I know how a disease can affect families, so I want to be able to help people,” Bianchini said. “I want to thank all of the people at Cowley that helped me be more involved at the school. Being an international student, I did not talk much at first, but all of these people at Cowley are a part of who I am now.”