Cowley College

Students perform virtual choir project

May 7, 2020

The Cowley Concert Choir members had been working toward their spring concert when COVID-19 put a halt on their performance. Wanting to find a way to feature the hard work they had done up to this point, vocal music director Lindsay Allen decided to have the Concert Choir perform a virtual choir concert.

Allen was familiar with Eric Whitacre's virtual choir project that he has done over the last 10 years and was inspired by him to try her hand at it, especially since the group was singing one of his pieces, Seal Lullaby.
After preparing a video for students to watch and sing along to, students sent in videos of themselves singing their individual parts and then sent them back to Allen, who then mixed the audio together and synched the videos to create Cowley’s first virtual choir.

“I am blown away by my students,” Allen said. “It is hard to record yourself singing alone but they did a fantastic job continuing to learn their parts and meeting with me individually each week through Zoom lessons. If they can be this successful virtually, next year's face-to-face choir is going to be phenomenal.”

Cowley music instructor Stephen Butler served as an accompanist on piano.

The performance can be found at https://youtu.be/DcLYWSw-1jY.