Cowley College

Hope Strader named the March Student of the Month

March 5, 2020

A positive influence to her peers and an active student on campus, sophomore Hope Strader was recently named Cowley College’s March Student of the Month.

The sophomore Liberal Arts major is the daughter of Steve and Chris Strader. She has a sister, Nicole 26. Grandparents are John and Wanda Armstrong of Wichita.

Prior to coming to Cowley, Hope attended Wichita Northwest High School. She received a scholarship offer from Cowley’s Mass Communications Department after winning a Scholastic Award for photo she took.

At Cowley, she is the president of the Media Club, member of ACES (Academic Civic Engagement through Service), and a resident assistant in the dorms. Strader spent her first year at Cowley as a photographer for the Cowley Press Student Newspaper.
“I really like Cowley and the community,” Strader said. “I have had a chance to meet a lot of new people and take part in different events.”

She has a grade point average of 3.94 and was named to the President and Dean’s Honor Rolls. She has also volunteered in the community and on Cowley’s main campus in Arkansas City.

“It is nice to be able to give back to the community,” Strader said. “I have really enjoyed working with James (Fry) and the people in ACES.

Intramural coordinator/dorm manager Ian Alumbaugh is impressed with Strader’s involvement on campus.

“Hope is a great student and positive influence to the community,” Alumbaugh said. “She works hard without expectation of reward or recognition.”

As Alumbaugh said, Strader was not expecting to be named the March Student of the Month.

“It is nice to know people think I am contributing to the college,” Strader said.

Her sister, Nicole, and grandparents, John and Wanda Armstrong, each attended Fort Hays State University.

After Cowley, Hope plans to transfer to Fort Hays State University and major in Hospitality and Tourism.