Cowley College

Accomplished runner named February Student of the Month

February 12, 2020

Known for her outstanding accomplishments on the track and during the cross country season, Cowley College sophomore Sasha Elizondo is finally getting her due for the work she does in the classroom as the psychology major was named the February Student of the Month.

The Wylie, Texas native is the daughter of Hector and Angela Elizondo. She has a sister, Jo Jo 20, and a brother, Hector Jay 18.

At Wylie East High School, she was involved in track, cross country, Leo Club, National Honor Society, and Spanish Honor Society.

Recruited to Cowley as a cross country and track athlete, Elizondo knew after one visit that Cowley was the place for her to start her collegiate career.

“I didn’t want to go to a big school and I felt like I really formed a bond with the other athletes the day I visited Cowley,” Elizondo said.

Along with running for the Lady Tiger cross country and track and field teams, she is also a student ambassador and a member of Chi Alpha Bible Study.

She is a five-time track All-American and a seven-time Region VI champion. She is the school-record holder in the 1,000-meter run and helped the 2019 indoor track distance medley relay team and 2019 outdoor 4x800-meter relay team finish as the national runner-up.

During the 2019 cross country season she placed third in the conference and fourth in the region as she helped the Lady Tigers capture the Region title and place eighth at nationals.

“Sasha is a great person to be around,” Cowley College head cross country coach Cameron Rieth said. “She changes the vibe of the room.”

Elizondo is a member of the Dean’s Honor Roll and has a grade point average of 3.94.

Admissions representative Mandi Hernandez said Elizondo is always responsible and helpful as a student ambassador.

“She is also very caring and entertaining,” Hernandez said. “She has great morals and strives to do her best.”

Elizondo has enjoyed her time at Cowley and was surprised to be named the February Student of the Month.

“Cowley has been amazing, if I could do it over again I would,” Elizondo said. “Being one of eight students of the month means a lot to me. I was really surprised, I did not think I would be chosen.”

She recently signed a letter of intent to continue her track career at Sam Houston State University.

“I wanted to sign somewhere that made me feel how Cowley made me feel,” Elizondo said.