Cowley College

Istas awarded grant for her work on Math Anxiety in adult basic education populationse

February 10, 2020

Cowley College mathematics instructor Brooke Istas was recently awarded a grant for her work on Math Anxiety in adult basic education populations.

The Dollar General Literacy Foundation generously sponsors the Coalition on Adult Basic Education National Awards funds. One of those awards is COABE’s prestigious Incentive Grant. The COABE Incentive Grant Award is presented to recipients to support activities or projects in the field of adult basic education through the secondary level and the award is for up to $2,500.

Istas applied and was awarded the grant to help her conduct a qualitative study on Math Anxiety in Adult Basic Education populations.

“I will utilize the funds to help with the analysis of interviews and surveys,” Istas said. “My research seeks to understand the underlying reasons adults suffer from math anxiety and to find the moment when math went from being a positive experience to a negative one.”

Istas was shocked to win the award and said this will allow adult numeracy and mathematics instruction to finally have a voice in the field of adult education.

“There are all kinds of literacy research projects in the United States but very little research is being done on adult numeracy and mathematics. I hope to change that,” Istas said.