January 19, 2018
Registration underway for Math & Science Day at Cowley College
The Mu Alpha Sigma Chi organization and the Natural Science Department at Cowley College in Arkansas City are looking forward to another exciting Math & Science Day event at the school. The event will be held Wednesday, Feb. 7 and will consist of a scholastic competition in the math and science areas for all high school students.
Area schools are invited to bring interested students and teachers for the competition. Those interested can register online at www.cowley.edu/science or by calling 620-441-5303.
The format of the competition will consist of the construction of scientific apparatus testing the skills of the creators (in teams of two) and a scholastic competition for those knowledgeable in the scientific fields. Students are welcome to compete in either or both of the competitions.
Competitions have included the following:
- Write It Build It Competition - a team member will view a constructed object and write a description of how to build it. The description will be given to a second team member who will attempt to build it from the written description.
- Puzzlefest Competition – students will be given 30 minutes to complete a geometrically shaped math puzzle by solving algebraic problems as quickly as possible.
- Chemistry competition - students will perform a chemical analysis of selected materials.
- Critical Thinking – this event can be done in teams of two. The team will be given a series of clues to help solve a problem, similar to the Clue board game.
- Teacher Demo – it’s your turn to be the teacher. Students will present a brief lesson on a topic of their choosing in the math and science realm.
- The Scholastic competition will consist of a preliminary examination in all science and math areas. The top scoring student in each discipline will then compete in a verbal quiz. The verbal format will be a single elimination discipline bee. When the last two competitors are standing, the answer must be determined by one of the competitors to eliminate the other. The categories for this year’s scholastic competition include: algebra; geometry; chemistry; biological science; physics and physical science. The scientific apparatus portion of the event will be specified as the date approaches.
- Toothpick Bridge Contest – students build a toothpick bridge with a team up to two that will support the most weight and spanning a 25.0 centimeter opening using only one box of wooden toothpicks and one four ounce bottle of white multipurpose Elmer’s glue.
Lunch will be provided and the event will conclude with an awards ceremony.