Opportunities for Military Students at Cowley College
Cowley College is committed to providing affordable, high quality education. We understand the challenge of balancing military duties with your academic goals and family. Taking this into account, we offer a variety of classes to prepare military students for a four-year program, assist with promotion, or enter the work force. Classes can be taken face to face, online, or in hybrid format.
Military Science Courses
The Kansas Army National Guard, Pittsburg State University, and Cowley College have a linkage agreement that provides new opportunities to students. Currently there are two courses in Military Science available to all Cowley College students.Military Science and Leadership I
The Military Science and Leadership I course will introduce students to the personal challenges and competencies that are critical for effective leadership and communication. Students will learn how the personal development of life skills such as cultural understanding, goal setting, time management, stress management, and comprehensive fitness relate to leadership, officership, and the Army profession.
As students become further acquainted with Military Science and Leadership, they will learn the structure of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Basic Course program. The focus is on developing basic knowledge and comprehension of Army leadership dimensions, attributes and core leader competencies while gaining an understanding of the ROTC program, its purpose in the Army, and its advantages for the student.Military Science and Leadership II
The Military Science and Leadership II course will introduce Cadets to the personal challenges and competencies that are critical for effective leadership. Cadets will learn the personal development of life skills such as critical thinking, time management, goal setting, and communication. Cadets will also learn the basics of the communications process and the importance for leaders to develop the essential skills to effectively communicate in the Army.
Cadets will begin learning the basics of squad level tactics that will be reinforced during a weekly lab facilitated by Military Science Cadets and supervised by Cadre.
Both Military Science Leadership I and Military Science and Leadership II will be offered at Cowley College’s main campus in Arkansas City as well as its Mulvane Center.
Kansas National Guard — State Tuition Assistance
Kansas National Guard members receive free tuition up to 15 credit hours per semester, matched to the highest State School In-State Rate. The lifetime cap is 180 Credit Hours.Applicant must:
- Apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A screen shot of your completed application must be emailed to the Kansas Education Services Office.
- Create an account on the Kansas Board of Regents website.
- Complete the online Application/Student agreement each semester.
- Email a Transcript (does not have to be official transcript) each semester to the Kansas Education Services Office.
- You MUST APPLY no later than August 31 for the Fall, or January 31 for the Spring semester.
- Text “KSTuition” to 462769.
Justin Smith, SSG
Kansas National Guard — Minuteman Scholarship
- Receive Full Tuition and Fees (uncapped) OR Room and Board ($10,000 per year)
- 4, 3, and 2 Year Scholarships Available
- Receive Cadet Monthly Stipend from $300-$500 per Month depending upon the scholarship
- Receive Book Stipend of $600 Per Semester
- Receive a Monthly Cadet Drill Pay as E5 (current drill weekend Pay $311.04)
- U.S. Citizenship
- Between 17-35 years old
- Enlisted or Eligible to Enlist into the KS Army National Guard
- Pass MEPS Physical
- Pass Interview Process
- Ability to Obtain Security Clearance
- Proof of Acceptance into Participating University and Academic Major
- Proof of GPA 2.5 or higher, ACT 24 or higher, or SAT 1200 or higher
Justin Smith, SSG
Kansas National Guard — Student Loan Repayment
The Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) is available for those who have one or more qualifying and disbursed Title IV federal loan The loans must be listed on the Department of Education National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) aid summary website.
Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) that are in the name of anyone other than the Soldier applying for the SLRP program are not eligible for repayment.
State and private loans are not eligible for repayment under the SLRP.Requirements:
- Enlist for a minimum six-year term of service
- Enlist for a critical skills (CS) vacancy in the grade of E-4 or below
- Enlist into a qualifying position
- Score a minimum of 50 on the Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT)
- Must not be enlisting as a 09R Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) cadet
- Must not be enlisting as a glossary non-prior service (GNPS) Soldier
Justin Smith, SSG
The Admission & Enrollment Process at Cowley College
Cowley has a dedicated Military Education Services Representative who will assist the military student through the admission process all the way until graduation.
- Complete an Application for Admission.
- Apply for Federal Financial Aid.
- Cowley’s Financial Aid code is 001902.
- Apply for Scholarships.
- Complete the Housing Application and Contract if you intend to live in the residence halls located at Arkansas City.
- Complete Placement Testing at one of our campus locations if you have not taken the ACT, have ACT scores that are more than 3 years old, or if you have never completed any college level Math or English courses. Allow 2.5 hours for completing the COMPASS Assessment. Please contact one of our campus centers for more information about the COMPASS Assessment or to set up an appointment:
Submit your final/official high school, GED, other college transcript(s) and or Military credits to the following address(s):
High School Transcripts:
125 S 2nd St., PO Box 1147
Arkansas City, KS 67005
College Transcripts and or Military credits:
125 S 2nd St, PO Box 1147
Arkansas City, KS 67005
Note: Transcript can also be received electronically through Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse.
Enroll with our Coordinator of Military Services / VA Certifying Official:
Rachel A. Schmeidler, M.Ed.
Coordinator of Military Education Services/ VA Certifying Official
532 S. Market
Wichita, KS 67002
Apply for Veteran/Tuition Assistance. Please use the links below based on service.
- Visit the Cowley College Bookstore to obtain your books.