Open Athletic Coach Positions
Head Men's & Women's Tennis Coach
"As a coach working at Cowley, our employees are very supportive towards one another. We work hard as a team to have one of the top athletic programs in the nation."
How To Apply
To apply for an athletic coach position: Submit a complete application packet, including cover letter, resume and staff application (PDF Format) to: Cowley College, Attn: Human Resources, 125 South Second St., PO Box 1147, Arkansas City, KS 67005 or email to: email@example.com. Equal Opportunity Employer. - Non-discrimination notice.
Assistant Coach-Volleyball/Dorm Manager
Location: Arkansas City Main Campus
Position Reports To: Head Coach-Volleyball/ Director of Housing
FLSA Status: Exempt
Classification: Group 4
The Assistant Coach-Volleyball/Dorm Manager is a live-in position and is responsible for assisting the Head Coach-Volleyball with various aspects of the program, such as recruiting, planning, coaching, scheduling opponents, training team members, managing and directing the volleyball program. In addition, this position oversees the student in the Dormitory and assists in the development and implementation of all residential and community activities within that dorm building. The Assistant Coach-Volleyball/Dorm Manager is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Cowley College, Jayhawk Athletic Conference and the NJCAA.
- Assists the head coach in managing and directing the volleyball program.
- Assists the head coach with all aspects of the team including training, competing and scheduling.
- Organizes and maintains accurate inventory of volleyball equipment and uniforms.
- Coordinates travel arrangements.
- Commits to and is responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth for the team, the College, the Jayhawk Athletic Conference and NJCAA with the utmost integrity.
- Completes other assigned administrative duties in a timely manner.
- Assists with recruiting, including calling prospective student-athletes, evaluating high school players, and maintaining accurate records for program compliance.
- Works cooperatively with personnel in the athletics department, attends department meetings and activities, and always represents the College positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public.
- Assist with the transport of athletes as necessary.
- Coordinates facility needs of visiting teams.
- Act as a positive role model and will work directly with dormitory students in the development and enforcement of rules to assure proper student conduct and care of facilities.
- Develop a semester dorm activity schedule and coordinate communication of events with Resident Assistants, Dorm Managers, Director of Student Life and the Director of Housing.
- Coordinate Christmas party.
- 1-2 larger events per semester (specific to Dormitory).
- Create and submit activities schedule for semester at least 2 weeks prior to start of semester.
- Manage budget for activities.
- Communicate and Market each activity throughout campus.
- Supervise, direct, develop, mentor, select, train and evaluate 2-3 Resident Assistants, connecting student growth and development to specific learning outcomes.
- Schedule weekly meetings with RA, providing feedback to Director of Housing.
- Manage all room changes. Check in/out students during move-in/move-out days and throughout the semester. Inspect for damage during check-out.
- Maintain Rooming Roster with 100% accuracy.
- Maintain all housing reports.
- Conduct regular inspections for the appearance, operation, safety and security of the dormitories and report all issues to the Director of Housing.
- Must conduct inspections at least twice a semester.
- Follow-up 24 hours after a concern is found.
- Assist with all safety drills, room and drug inspections.
- Attend weekly manager meetings.
- On-call rotation for the 5 campus dormitories.
- Follow-up on all student concerns.
- Identify and refer students to College services, including but not limited to, Student Life, Counselor, Director of Health Services and Tutoring.
- Process and deliver student mail for dormitory.
- Provide volleyball travel and recruitment schedule to the Director of Housing.
- Maintain courteous, professional and effective working relationships with employees, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organization.
- Comply with all College policies and procedures
- Assist the Head Coach-Volleyball and the Director of Housing by performing other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to recruit, coach and teach highly talented student athletes.
- Ability to understand and adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of the College, Jayhawk Athletic Conference and NJCAA.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to teamwork
- A proven record in following directives and being responsible for tasks which have been assigned.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment, as needed.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to integrate resources, policies and information for the determination of procedures, solutions and other outcomes.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of management methods and ability to provide administrative guidance within area of responsibility and provide direct training and supervision, as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting and participating in the overall athletic program, student activities and College events.
- Ability to teach sportsmanship and set an example of good moral and physical behavior.
- Ability to market and promote Cowley College volleyball.
- Ability to work and maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Excellent communications skills- orally, by phone, in person, and in writing.
- Excellent human relations skills. Ability to work with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and diverse populations.
- Understanding of and commitment to Academic Quality Improvement Program.
Required Education Background:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- CPR and First Aid Certification preferred.
- Valid, unrestricted driver’s license required. Commercial Driver’s License, preferred.
- Must be insurable on Cowley vehicle insurance policy.
- Advanced knowledge of the volleyball game.
- Collegiate and/or professional playing experience, preferred.
- High school or college level coaching experience, preferred.
Supervisory Requirements: None
Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time; ability to move freely around the campus and outreach centers; ability to lift up to 50 pounds; ability to bend, stoop, reach and grasp as required to perform responsibilities; ability to drive motor vehicle; and ability to work on the computer for long periods of time.
Coaches are responsible for maintaining an environment free from discrimination, intimidation, coercion or harassment, including sexual harassment. Work is performed indoors and/or outdoors in conditions including loud and constant noise. Work is also performed throughout dorm building, office location and throughout the campus. Travel required, including overnight.
Cowley County Community College and Area Vocational-Technical School is dedicated to providing equal opportunities to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, political affiliation or other legally protected category. (Notice of Non-Discrimination found at www.cowley.edu/about/legal.html)