Cowley College

Q: When should I apply for financial aid?

Frequently Asked Questions

A: Yes! Cowley offers a wide variety of clubs and activities for our students. We encourage you to get involved. Not only will it help you meet people, it will enhance your out-of-class learning and make your college experience a more meaningful one!

A: Review the information in the Academics module of this web site. We will send you printed materials if you fill out the Request for Information form.

A: Colleges are set up on a system that counts toward a certificate or degree. If you take a three credit hour English class during a 16-week semester, you will be in class three hours each week.

For example:

  • 1 hour three times a week
  • 1 1/2 hours two times a week
  • 3 hours one day a week

A: The average credit hour load is 16 hours per semester in order to finish your Associates Degree within 2 years. A student is classified as full time if they are enrolled in 12 credit hours or more.

A: A college semester is 16 weeks during the regular academic year. The fall semester is from mid-August to mid-December and the spring semester is from mid-January to mid-May. Eight week classes are also offered.

A: General education classes during the day on campus average around 30 to 35 students.

A: No. But the sooner the better!

A: There is no application fee.

A: No, but it is strongly recommended. An ACT score may be a factor in eligibility for certain scholarships.

A: Send an official college transcript to our registrar's office, or contact the Registrar for answers to specific questions.

Cowley College
125 South Second
P.O. Box 1147
Arkansas City, KS 67005

A: Cowley has over 80 majors and programs of study. Degrees offered include the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of General Studies, and the College Certificate.

A: Yes, see our scholarship information for details.

A: The only students required to live on campus are student athletes. See Housing for more information.

A: Yes. You may enroll at the Outreach Center closest to you for any class that you want to take regardless of where the class is offered.

A: Yes. Students may sign up for Shadow Day in the fall or Senior Day in the spring. Shadow Days are scheduled for students to visit the campus individually or in small groups. Senior Day invites students from throughout the area to campus for a one-day extravaganza that highlights the various programs and activities Cowley has to offer. Visitors may also schedule a campus tour at their convenience.

A: Peer tutors are available to help students in a variety of subjects. This service is provided free of charge! The college also offers special courses in reading skills, study skills, writing and math to help you sharpen your skills in problem areas. Click here for information about our tutoring services.

A: Cowley's tuition is among the lowest in the state compared to other community colleges. Most 4-year public schools cost approximately $65-95 per credit hour and 4-year private schools charge from $150 to $300 or more per credit hour. See costs for more information.

A: Cowley offers automatic payment programs for your convenience. These e-cashier programs allow for arranged monthly payments and have other options available to you. Click here for information about payment options.

A: Grants are awards you don't have to pay back. Work-study gives you the chance to work on campus and earn money to help pay for school. Loans are borrowed money that you must repay with interest. Undergraduates may receive aid from all three of these aid programs. Contact the financial aid office for more information. In addition, you can apply for a scholarship. These are awarded according to your previous academic performance or your skills in such areas as athletics and co-curricular activities.

A: You must complete the free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your need is determined from information on the application.

A: You should apply for federal aid once you and your parents have filed the income tax return for the previous year. You must complete a new application for federal financial aid for each school year. These forms are available through your high school counselor's office or through Cowley College's financial aid information. Each semester you must complete a minimum of 67% of attempted credit hours with a 1.75 GPA. If you do not complete your financial aid file by August 1 for the Fall semester or December 1 for the Spring semester, you will be required to pay tuition and fees in full pending determination of eligibility.