Tips for Studying for Visual Learners
- Organize work and living space to avoid distractions.
- Sit in the front of the room to avoid distraction and away from doors or windows where action takes place. Sit away from wall maps or bulletin boards.
- Use neatly organized or typed material.
- Use visual association, visual imagery, written repetition, flash cards, and clustering strategies for improved memory.
- Reconstruct images in different ways - try different spatial arrangements and take advantage of blank spaces on the page.
- Use note pads, Post-Its, to-do lists, and other forms of reminders.
- Use organizational format outlining for recording notes. Use underlining, highlighting in different colors, symbols, flow charts, graphs or pictures in your notes.
- Practice turning visual cues back into words as you prepare for exams.
- Allow sufficient time for planning and recording thoughts when doing problem-solving tasks.
- Use test preparation strategies that emphasize organization of information and visual encoding and recall.