Director of Criminal Justice
Arkansas City Campus
Office: Ireland Hall 300
Director Owens has 24 years of law enforcement experience. Prior to his employment at Cowley he served 17 years full time in law enforcement. He is currently a part-time officer for the City of Winfield.
Director Owens has a passion for teaching the future officers of our criminal justice system. He personally completed the criminal justice program right here at Cowley College and he has 24 years of combined law enforcement experience. He is currently a part-time officer as well, bringing the latest training and criminal justice trends and practices to the classroom. During his law enforcement career he served in many capacities, including three years on a narcotics task force, a street level Sergeant, a bike patrol officer, a Lieutenant, and a Lieutenant Detective overseeing the criminal investigations for his department.
During his law enforcement career he earned numerous law enforcement credentials and certifications including taser instructor certification, thermographer, night vision, bike patrol, meth lab investigations and others. Director Owens brings his knowledge of the criminal justice system into the classroom and blends it with traditional college learning to create a hands on, fun learning atmosphere.
His professional interests included narcotic investigations, criminal investigations, and interview techniques. Director Owens was also instrumental in creating the Winfield Police Department's Citizen Academy Program which teaches citizens what life is like through an officer's perspective. That program is in its tenth year.
- A.A. - Criminal Justice - Cowley College
- B.S. - Criminal Justice - Southwestern College
- Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center Classes
- Drug Enforcement Administration Classes
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation Classes
- Teacher of the Year 2014
- Grassroots Recruitment Award 2014
- Published numerous articles in various newspapers
- Kansas Peace Officer's Association
- Kansas Narcotics Officer's association
- Kansas Homicide investigator�s Association
- Cowley County Drug Task Force
- Certified Bike Patrol Member
- Instructor for Citizen Police Academy
- Certified Thermographer